Five health symptoms men should not ignore:
“British men are paying the price for neglecting their health: more than 100,000 men a year die prematurely.
On average, men go to their GP half as often as women. It’s important to be aware of changes to your health, and to see your GP immediately if you notice something that’s not right.” Find out more
Each year about 36,000 men in the UK are diagnosed with prostate cancer, making it the most common cancer in men. It mainly affects men aged over 50.
- difficulty in starting to pass urine
- a weak, sometimes intermittent flow of urine
- dribbling of urine before and after urinating
- a frequent or urgent need to pass urine
- rarely, blood in your urine or semen and pain when passing urine
These symptoms aren’t always caused by prostate cancer but if you have them, see your GP.
Find out more about the symptoms, causes and diagnosis of prostate cancer by using the resources below.
Testicular cancer, though the most common cancer in young men, it is still quite rare. With 2000 new cases being diagnosed each year, this makes it the biggest cause of cancer related death in 15 – 35-year-old males. It accounts for around 70 deaths a year within the UK alone.
What to Look Out For
The most common symptom of testicular cancer is swelling or a pea-sized lump in one of the testes (balls). There is no current screening test therefore it is important that you look out for the following signs and symptoms.
- A dull ache, or sharp pain, in your testicles, or scrotum, which may come and go
- A feeling of heaviness in your scrotum
- A dull ache in your lower abdomen
- A sudden collection of fluid in your scrotum
- Fatigue, and generally feeling unwell.
It’s estimated that one man in 10 has a problem related to having sex, such as premature ejaculation or erectile dysfunction. Dr John Tomlinson of The Sexual Advice Association explains some of the causes, and where to seek help.
NHS Choices Conditions and Treatments
See the NHS Choices Conditions and Treatments browser for an in-depth description of many common health issues.